4 Tips to Adding an Assessment to Your Selection Process

Last month I had a client tell me, “I would have never hired someone without meeting them in person…until now.” The hiring landscape is changing….again. 6 months ago we were talking about having the lowest unemployment numbers in history. Now, we have 10+% unemployment and it’s not far-fetched to think into today’s working environment a new hire may never see their manager in person.

You can buy anything you want online without touching, feeling, and experiencing it. Some things you know well (like toilet paper) and don’t need to do any virtual research. The bigger the investment, the more research you may do. There are few bigger investments in an organization than people. It’s time to up your game and add an assessment to your selection process. Here are 4 tips to adding an assessment to your selection process.

#1. The assessment must be valid, reliable, and free of adverse impact. Price doesn’t mean a thing if the tool you’re using doesn’t meet this criteria. A good assessment company will have this information readily available. If not, move on. Our assessment partner is TTI Success Insights. We believe they are a leader in the assessment industry.

#2. You must use an assessment that measures more than just behaviors. Using any single-factor tool is like a flip of a coin, especially if it’s behaviors-only. A single-factor tool is not good enough for selection and you would simply be wasting your money.

#3. You have to know what you’re looking for. To do this, you need a job benchmark to determine what traits and talents are needed for superior performance in a specific job. This allows you to hire for fit.

#4. Use an assessment that can be used after the hire. The hiring process makes up less than 5% of an employee’s tenure at your organization. What about the other 95%? I recommend an assessment that can be used for professional development after the hire such as on-boarding, team-building, leadership development, and executive coaching.

At Lisk Associates we want to help you make your next great hire, even if you never meet them face-to-face. Check out our website or reach out to me: Ryan@Liskassociates.com

Categories
Professional Development

How to Flatten Your Own Curve During Major Change

We have heard a lot about flattening the curve regarding the COVID-19 pandemic. However, leaders we’ve worked with have been flattening curves of change for years. While the idea of flattening the curve makes sense, many leaders don’t have the tools to actually make it happen. I have attached a 7-page “1-pager” from Lee Hecht Harrison (a worldwide leader in career transition and executive coaching/development) giving you the tools to help transition changes quicker and more effectively allowing you to recommit and refocus sooner regarding change. The model consists of five phases each individual experiences regarding change:

Anticipation – Knowing or expecting that something is going to happen.

Letting Go – Facing the fact that things are different and letting go of the past.

Disorientation – Things are no longer what they were or how they are going to be.

Reappraisal – Taking a new look at the situation and addressing options.

Recommitment – Reconnecting to a sense of purpose.

Here are three takeaways from my experience working with this change model.

#1. Don’t assume you know where anyone else is on the curve. All a leader has to do is: Bring up the topic of change, show the model with the simple definitions, and ask where each person feels they are right now on the curve.

#2. People will experience some time in all five phases, but the time they spend in each phase will vary depending on the person.

#3. Don’t forget CBAAM!! CBAAM is the acronym on the last page regarding resiliency: Cope-BounceBack-Absorb-Adjust-Maintain

I hope you find this blog simple, practical, and valuable. #PeopleFirst

Blog Post Title

What goes into a blog post? Helpful, industry-specific content that: 1) gives readers a useful takeaway, and 2) shows you’re an industry expert.

Use your company’s blog posts to opine on current industry topics, humanize your company, and show how your products and services can help people.